To add a new MetricsView Device, From the Device Manager, click the Add device button on the upper right hand of the screen. Select the type of MetricsView device you wish to create.
Next you will be prompted to adjust the following settings:
Name: Enter a descriptive name to help later identify this device amongst a list of other devices.
Frequency: Select a frequency at which the device will repeat the monitoring tasks.
Postponed: Selecting Postponed will suspend monitoring of the device. Existing data will not be affected, but new data will not be recorded until you have deselected the Postponed option.
Owner Device: Specify an existing device upon which this device is dependent. See Owner Device for details.
Monitoring Schedule: Select an existing schedule to apply to this device.
Next you can select the reports you want.
There are two basic scheduled report types:
Excel Summary Executive Summary
Each report type allows you to adjust the following fields:
- The frequency you wish to receive the report (daily, weekly or monthly)
- Which filter to Apply to the report
- What schedule to use on the report data
- Who will receive the report by either entering a single email address or selecting a group from the alert group dropdown.
Finally, you can set different alert options and advanced settings.
Filter: You can apply a filter to alerts.
There are a number of different ways you can recieve alerts including:
- Email: Enter an individual email address
- Wireless Device Email: Enter a wireless device email address
- Numeric Pager: Enter a telephone number of a pager (if outside USA enter 011 first, then Country Code+City Code+Local #)
- Phone Number: Enter a telephone number (if outside USA enter 011 first, then Country Code+City Code+Local #)
- SMS Number: Enter a telephone number (if outside USA enter 011 first, then Country Code+City Code+Local #)
- Custom Script File: Enter the name of the custom script file. This file will be uploaded to the server for you by the Dotcom-Monitor Support team.
- Alert Groups: Select one or more groups to receive alerts. Adjust the time to wait to send the alert to different groups to create escalation chains.
Under Advanced options you can configure:
Uptime Alerts: If you check the box to Send Uptime Alerts you will recieve notifications when a device begins successfully completing tasks after a failure.
Disable False Positive Check: By default, if one location detects an error, all other locations are queued to immediately check for the error. If you disable false positive checks, these additional checks will not be run.
Number of Minutes between alerts: You can adjust the number of minutes that will elapse before the system generates another alert to each type of device. This may be particularly beneficial when sending alerts to devices with additional cost such as pagers or phones not in the US.