How to create devices and tasks
- Adding a new task to an existing device
- Creating a single device with a single task
- Creating several tasks within a single device
This task describes creating or editing a Windows Performance Collector task. If you are interested in adding a custom collector task, check out the article on creating custom collectors.
How to Edit a Windows Performance Collector Task
At the Device Manager page click the “Add Device” button and then select either “MetricsView Custom Collector” or “MetricsView Performance Counter” depending on which type of collector you just created.
Once you have created a device and are adding or editing a Windows Performance Collector task, you will be prompted to adjust the following settings:
- Use Existing Collector or Install New: Select the name of the collector agent that has already been set up or Install New.
- Machine Address: Provide an IP of the counter carrier host. Though, any identificator may be used.
- Counter Category: 1st level grouping criteria (example: CPU).
- Counter Name: 2nd level grouping criteria (example: CPU #2 load).
- Counter Instance: 3rd level grouping criteria (example: CPU Core number).
- Aggregate: All received data will be aggregated on a regular basis, according to the adjusted device frequency.
- Maximum – the highest value from array will be taken
- Average – value is calculated as an average of all intermediate values
- Minimum – the lowest value from array will be taken
- Min threshold: Threshold exceeding will result alerting
- Max threshold: Threshold exceeding will result alerting
- Ignore if Unavailable: Each time during “Agent” <–>”Server” interaction Agent asks if there any new counters for Agent to check. In case there are instructions to gather stats on new counters Agents starts to gather them. In case NO was selected each failure in Counters polling will be reflected as error in reports, in case YES was selected – failures will be ignored.