How to create devices and tasks
How to Edit an SNMP Task
Once you have created an SNMP Device type you will be prompted to adjust the following settings:
At the Device Manager page click the Add Device button and then select either “MetricsView Custom Collector” or “MetricsView Performance Counter” depending on which type of collector you just created.
Once you have filled out the device settings you will be prompted to adjust the following settings:
- Task Name: Defines the Task’s name, and is listed as part of the device.
- MetricsView Collector: Select the name of the collector agent that has already been set up under the Configure MetricsView Collectors menu
- Performance Counter Path: is a descriptive field that is auto-populated by appending the following fields together: Host\Category\Instance\Counter. Therefore, you do not need to enter anything into this field, simply fill in the following fields.
- Host: field supposed to contain IP of the counter carrier host. Though, any identificator may be used.
- Version: Select the version of SNMP (V1, V2, V3) used by the target
- Community or SNMP User: Community similar to a username to specify the SNMP target in versions 1 and 2. SNMP user is a specified username that you must set up separately under the configure menu- SNMP Users.
- OID: The Object ID used to specify the specific variable or object to subscribe to.
- Aggregate: All received data will be aggregated on a regular basis, according to the adjusted device frequency.
- Maximum – the highest value from the array will be taken
- Average – value is calculated as an average of all intermediate values
- Minimum – the lowest value from the array will be taken
- Min threshold: Threshold exceeding will result alerting
- Max threshold: Threshold exceeding will result alerting
- Ignore Errors if counter is not available: Each time during “Agent” <–>”Server” interaction Agent asks if there any new counters for Agent to check. In case there are instructions to gather stats on new counters Agents starts to gather them. In case NO was selected each failure in Counters polling will be reflected as error in reports, in case YES was selected – failures will be ignored.