Device Manager provides an overview of all devices configured on your account.
Once a device has been created, it appears on the Device Manager page under the corresponding platform header. To open a list of devices under a particular platform, expand the platform header using the disclosure arrow on the left. To see the device task details, click the disclosure arrow on the device header.
In the Device Manager list, you can see at a glance the number of tasks under a device, the status of the device, the frequency of monitoring on each device and the timestamp the device was last monitored. You can also quickly perform several actions relating to devices and tasks including enabling, postponing and silencing a device as well as cloning a device or task, deleting a device or task and running a status report or an SLA report.
Add a new monitoring device
Click the Add Device button to begin the process of adding a new device.
To filter the list of existing devices:
- If the platforms are not expanded in the list, click the disclosure arrows on the platforms headers.
- In the Search Devices field in the upper left of the device manager, begin typing the name of a device you are looking for to filter the device list below.
Note that it is important to give your devices a very specific name so that you can easily find them later.
Device status displayed for a device reflects the most current mode-of-operation (i.e. the current state of behavior).
Device is active, but is in an idle state between monitoring sessions (frequency).
Means monitoring of the device is paused. Devices can also be postponed automatically via schedulers, as well as manually postponed via the device action menu by selecting Postpone.
Appears when a device was created using the EveryStep Scripting Tool, but was not completely configured.
Devices can be managed using actions from the device action menu accessed by clicking the action button in a device row:
- Add Task: add a new monitoring task to the device.
- Postpone: stop monitoring the device and all its tasks.
- Enable: activates monitoring of the postponed device and all its tasks.
- Edit: opens the page for editing the device.
- Clone: create a copy of the device.
- Delete: deletes the device and all its tasks.
- Legacy Report: configure and generate online reports for the device.
- Report: configure and generate online reports for the device in a brand-new form.
- SLA: configure and generate a Service Level Agreement (SLA) report for the device.
- Alert Silence: disable alerts for the device for 10, 30, 60, or 180 minutes.
- Run Now: runs monitoring the device regardless of the scheduler.
- Send Test Alert: sends a test alert email.
To manage multiple device operations:
- Select the check boxes of the devices under a particular platform.
- Click the action button located in the device list header.
- Select the necessary operation from the menu list.
Disable alerting for a device
To temporary disable alerting for a device:
- Click on the action button for the specific device.
- On the device action menu, point to Alert Silence.
- Select a period of time for disabling(silencing) alerts – 10-minutes, 30, 60, or 180 minutes.
If the option is configured, the alert for a device will be silenced for a specified period and device will be marked with the mute icon in the list. This temporary alerting limitation covers all alert types.
To clone a device/task:
- Click on the action button next to a device or task.
- On the action menu, select Clone.
The page will refresh and a copy of the device will be appended to the list of devices with the word “copy” added to the end of the device name. The clone will include all settings of the original device and will contain a copy of all tasks under the original device.
The page will refresh and an exact copy of the task will appear underneath the same device that the original task existed with the word “copy” appended to the end of the task name.
To make sure the notification emails don’t get caught in spam, use the Send Test Alert option from the device menu in Device Manager after configuring a new task.
The Run Now feature simplifies the operation of a device during situations when you’re working on “urgent” issues. By clicking on the Run Now button you instantly initiate a monitoring check from all “spare” (specified for the selected device, but currently free of active sessions) monitoring agents. This can be especially helpful when you need fast, fresh monitoring results while addressing “urgent” issues.
To Run Now, select it from the device action menu (the action button to the right in the device row).