Selecting a solution
Dotcom-Monitor provides the Monitoring and Stress Testing solutions.
Monitoring solution tools allow monitoring of the following areas:
- Servers including HTTP/S, email, DNS, VoIP/SIP, and performance counters.
- Network/port availability and performance including SNMP, UDP, DNS, and Ping.
- Website page load speed including 3rd party element availability and performance.
- Applications including Flash, AJAX, Silverlight, HTML5, Java Applets, SOAP, and APIs.
- E-Commerce: availability, functionality, and performance of web transactions and web page content.
Stress Testing provides complex tools to test website and application performance under simulated user load.
If you are unsure whether your monitoring goal fits better under one solution or another, feel free to click through either solution to see what the options are.
If you do not see the task you wish to monitor under a particular solution, click Solutions on the main navigation toolbar of the Device Manager page to select another solution.
While configuring a monitoring device, on the Select a Task page, you can select a task related to the particular Monitoring Platforms.
To show only tasks related to one platform on the page, select the name of the platform on the top quick access bar.
To monitor interactive web applications, go to Web Applications-UserView platform, and select a way to add a UserView task:
- To create a new device with one or several tasks, select Create a new Script and proceed with guidelines from Getting started with EveryStep.
- To create a task based on the script previously recorded and saved to the existing device, select Import Script.
- To create a task based on the script previously recorded using Desktop EveryStep Scripting Tool and saved on the local machine, select Upload Script.
See also: Configuring UserView task
To perform a comprehensive diagnostics of web page performance and load time using the most popular browser engines, go to Web Pages- BrowserView, and select the browser to conduct monitoring. Proceed with Configuring a BrowserView Task.
To monitor the uptime and performance status of web services as well as its functionality and availability, select the necessary task type from Web Sevices-WebView or Internet Infostructure-ServerView. For guidelines on how to configure a particular task type, see the corresponding platform category of the Knowledge Base.
To monitor system performance and usage of system resources on devices and servers in your LAN, go to Performance Counters-MetricsView, and select a task type:
- For computer and server monitoring, the Windows and Linux based tasks are available.
- To perform SNMP compatible device monitoring, select the SNMP Collector task.
- To set up a task to monitor your custom metrics available for collecting on your server or device, select the Custom Collectors task.
While configuring a stress test device, on the Create a New Stress Test page, you can select a task related to the LoadView Platform:
- To test interactive web applications, select Stress Test for Web Applications and proceed with guidelines from Getting started with EveryStep. See also the Load Testing Setup with an EveryStep Script series of video walkthroughs.
- To check a single URL for availability, performance, and errors in the web interface, click HTTP/S and proceed with guidelines from the Add / Edit an HTTP(S) task article.
- To test a web page performance using the most popular browser engines, click Web Page Test and proceed with Configuring a BrowserView Task.
- To copy a task from the existing device of the current or a different platform, click Clone From Existing Device, and select the device under the necessary platform. After selecting a device, if the device has multiple tasks, you can check the tasks you wish to copy.
See also: Setting up a Stress Test