A monitoring Task is the active monitoring of a specific target.
Targets that can have monitoring Tasks include:
- a specific URL
- a Mail server, FTP server, web server, etc.
- In the Userview terminology – a single “step” in a multiple-step monitoring sequence (such as 5-steps online shopping cart process)
- In the MetricsView terminology task represents single “Performance Counter” or single “SNMP Counter“.
There are two fundamental ways to set up monitoring Tasks:
- setting up single Tasks using the Device Edit/Create interface
- setting up sequences of Tasks using the EveryStep Scripting Tool.
The exact process for setting up a single monitoring Task varies depending on the type of task and the monitoring platform used. To pick the task related to your monitoring goals, see Selecting Right Monitoring Task.