Device Type: MetricsView
Glossary: Windows Performance Collector
How to create devices and tasks
- Add a New Task to an Existing Device
- Create/Edit a single Device with a single task
- Create/Edit several Tasks within a single Device
This task describes creating or editing a windows performance collector task. If you are interested in adding a custom collector task, check out the article on Editing a Custom Collector Task.
How to Edit a Windows Performance Collector Task
Once you have created a device and are adding or editing a Windows Performance Collector task, you will be prompted to adjust the following settings:
At the Device Manager page click the “Add Device” button and then select either “MetricsView Custom Collector” or “MetricsView Performance Counter” depending on which type of collector you just created.
Once you have filled out the device settings you will be prompted to adjust following settings:
- Name: Defines the Task’s name, and is listed as part of the Device.
- Agent: Select the name of the collector agent that has already been set up under the Configure MetricsView Collectors menu
- Task UID: Unique Task ID used by API to distribute gathered monitoring results.
- Performance Counter Path: is a descriptive field that is auto populated by appending the following fields together: Host\Category\Instance\Counter. Therefore, you do not need to enter anything into this field, simply fill in the following fields.
- Machine Address/Host: field supposed to contain IP of the counter carrier host. Though, any identificator may be used.
- Category: 1st level grouping criteria (example: CPU)
- Instance: 2nd level grouping criteria (example: CPU Core number)
- Counter: 3rd level grouping criteria (example: CPU #2 load)
- Aggregate : All received data will be aggregated on a regular basis, according to the adjusted device frequency.
- Maximum – the highest value from array will be taken
- Average – value is calculated as an average of all intermediate values
- Minimum – the lowest value from array will be taken
- Min threshold: Threshold exceeding will result alerting
- Max threshold: Threshold exceeding will result alerting
- Ignore Errors if counter is not available: Each time during “Agent” <–>”Server” interaction Agent asks if there any new counters for Agent to check. In case there are instructions to gather stats on new counters Agents starts to gather them. In case NO was selected each failure in Counters polling will be reflected as error in reports, in case YES was selected – failures will be ignored.